Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Realizing Revisions are Needed

     After finishing all the footage, I began to start editing it all together. Every scene looked really good except for the solitary confinement scene. The noise was not consistent, the positioning of people was not consistent, and the scene involved too many short takes.


     While trimming footage and editing it all together, I realized that the shots seemed to just jump from this angle to that angle, and it was too hard to keep track of everything going on. The solitary confinement scene was supposed to feel slow, but the quick cuts from this to that made it feel fast-paced. Plus, there is a shot where the officer goes to get the murder weapon. With the way we filmed it, it looks like the officer is just standing next to the prisoner and then, in the next shot, is half way to already getting the knife. It appeared as if there was a jump in time...which is exactly what we don't want.


     I own really nice audio equipment. The sound was much noisier than Cameron and I wanted/expected it to be. While playing around one day with my microphone on my computer with an audio recording system called "Audacity", I found a setting that blocked out background noise and made the audio sound much more professional than how we originally recorded it.


     So, Cameron and I asked the actor who plays the officer and the actor who plays the prisoner if they were both available on January 7th. Both of them said they were available which was perfect. On Saturday, we are going to take longer takes, hook the microphone up to my computer for better audio quality rather than to my camera, and make sure the placement of the actors looks continuous throughout the entire scene rather than looking as if they jumped in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment